
The corral is empty now and with the next good rain the last remaining hoof prints from Applejuice the donkey will be washed away forever. As long as I can remember there have been horses, donkeys or other four-legged critters penned up at the Taylor place. In the early 60's when they moved to their new home at the corner of Fillmore and Templeton Gap, this was the outskirts of town.
As Colorado Springs grew around it, the Taylor place became a little country oasis in the middle of the city. Now that the house has been sold and Applejuice has been relocated to Fountain, I'm guessing that zoning laws will prohibit the new owners from keeping livestock there (I hope I'm wrong on that). The Taylor barn is the other big attraction on this heavily driven stretch. It has been painted and repainted many times, with numerous inspirational messages posted over the years. But, I'll remember the Taylor barn for a different reason, the parties!!! I went to Wasson High School with Tory and Shannon Taylor who hosted frequent get-togethers in the big open loft above the barn. I don't remember many problems or fights. I don't remember an unusual amount of alcohol being consumed. What I do remember is a relaxing place to escape the parents and to hang out with other kids from school. At my 20th high school reunion, who walks up to me but Tory Taylor! He says "there's a party in my barn tonight". The loft was decorated with old rock and roll posters. Music from our high school years reeled us back through time. At this party the beer flowed. When Tory's folks flicked the lights a few times from a switch inside the house, as was the custom, we knew it was time to wrap it up. As I walked down the stairs and headed toward my car I felt the magic of the moment and I knew this was my last party in the Taylor barn.

No comments:
Post a Comment