Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Dashing Through the Snow!


During our most recent snowstorm I was shoveling the sidewalk in front of my house when I realized that there were no kids sledding on our neighborhood hill. Since I am living in the very house I grew up in I remembered a time when there was always a group of kids sliding down "Thrill Hill". I had the sudden urge to go out and purchase a Flexible Flyer and show this video game generation what real fun is! Because even if you can't afford a snowmobile or the price of a lift ticket at a ski area, you can still have free frozen fun! We used to spend hours building snow forts complete with secret tunnels. Build a snowman. All you need is an old hat, a couple of sticks for the arms, a carrot for the nose and some rocks for buttons. Make snow angels. If you don't have a sled, use an old inner tube or even a plastic garbage bag. Make some snow ice cream. About this time I noticed my neighbor shoveling the walk in front of his house. Since the snow was wet I quickly pounded out a big fat snowball, took aim and whizzed this ball of mush right past his head splattering on his freshly shoveled sidewalk. He was quite perturbed that I had forced him to re-do part of the walk. Doesn't anybody have fun in the snow anymore?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen DJ, noone has fun in the snow anymore. Our "Dead Mans Hill" now sports a housing development and there are no good hills left down south to sled on!

I don't particularly like the cold weather anymore but do try to play with my kids when we get a good snow! LOL